Spring Fling Awakens in Light
“Spring – An experience in immortality”
Just when you about to slit your wrists and you can’t take it anymore, darkness turns to light and all is right with the world again. Flowers bud, the birds find their melodies again and piles of scarves and hats can be forcibly pushed back into your IKEA wardrobe. I’ve heard it said that in Sweden ‘there is no bad weather, just bad clothes’ but believe me Sweden, there is bad weather and we’ve just had 7 months of it.
So at this stage of the year, anything about 0° is considered ‘spring’ and this makes everybody giddy with waffling excitement, me included:
Top 10 reasons why I love spring in Sweden:
1. It signals the end of months of snow, darkness and overdressing.
2. It means the Easter bunny is just around the corner.
3. Waffle Day is celebrated tomorrow. No wonder I live in this country.
4. Spring makes the Swedes not want to work and I don’t mind joining them. Easter, May Day, Sweden’s National Day and some other ‘Day’ all fall within Spring. I’m pushing to add Waffle Day but no one seems to be listening.
5. It no longer takes 30 minutes to dress the child before going outside.
6. Stockholm in the spring, is absolutely beautiful.
7. It rapidly becomes light, a beautiful crisp light that just radiates life.
8. All the public holidays are usually accompanied by delicious treats.
9. It’s autumn and getting colder in Sydney, so I win.
10. Early morning walks in our forest.
[Photos courtesy of Tomas Utsi/imagebank.sweden.se ]
“Waffle Day”, I hope my wife does not find out about this about this or I will have some International moving in my near future.
Oh she is very welcome!
Gorgeous…you know you’re totally selling Stockers to me….love the pics of little T. xxx
I need to look for waffles in Matera! I loooove waffles! 🙂
Waffles. The only thing I don’t like about Spring in the US is stupid daylight savings time. I agree that not having to put baby in lots of layers/hats/etc is nice savings in time.
I wish Michigan had Waffle Day. We had Paczki’s back for Fat Tuesday, but they are these yucky donuts made with lard. Michiganders go crazy this time of year, too. Any temp above freezing means we all whip out our shorts and flip flops. Yay for spring!
Oh yes, Waffle Day needs to be exported! I know, now it’s getting warmer I’ve seen some flips flops with socks 🙂
AGH! I completely missed waffle day! I was so looking forward to the excuse to stuff my face with waffles (ya know, aside from “I wanna”). I can celebrate it belated and it will still count…right???? 😀
Absolutely! Every day can be Waffle Day…
And just when we thought it might be turning to spring in Stockholm, we have all that rain/sleet/snow/hail today. Nice, huh?
I know! I put away the cable-knits too soon!!!!!! Sweden, please explain this weather…