Spring Fling Awakens in Light
“Spring – An experience in immortality”
Just when you about to slit your wrists and you can’t take it anymore, darkness turns to light and all is right with the world again. Flowers bud, the birds find their melodies again and piles of scarves and hats can be forcibly pushed back into your IKEA wardrobe. I’ve heard it said that in Sweden ‘there is no bad weather, just bad clothes’ but believe me Sweden, there is bad weather and we’ve just had 7 months of it.
So at this stage of the year, anything about 0° is considered ‘spring’ and this makes everybody giddy with waffling excitement, me included:
Top 10 reasons why I love spring in Sweden:
1. It signals the end of months of snow, darkness and overdressing.
2. It means the Easter bunny is just around the corner.
3. Waffle Day is celebrated tomorrow. No wonder I live in this country.
4. Spring makes the Swedes not want to work and I don’t mind joining them. Easter, May Day, Sweden’s National Day and some other ‘Day’ all fall within Spring. I’m pushing to add Waffle Day but no one seems to be listening.
5. It no longer takes 30 minutes to dress the child before going outside.
6. Stockholm in the spring, is absolutely beautiful.
7. It rapidly becomes light, a beautiful crisp light that just radiates life.
8. All the public holidays are usually accompanied by delicious treats.
9. It’s autumn and getting colder in Sydney, so I win.
10. Early morning walks in our forest.
[Photos courtesy of Tomas Utsi/imagebank.sweden.se ]