Swedish summer top 10!
We have been having a wonderful, wonderful summer! It’s been so much fun and here are my top 10 reasons why I am loving Summer in Sweden!
- The Super Nanny: Oh it was with tears in our eyes that we said good-bye to my sister-in-law! She had been with us for a month and we had quite gotten used to having her around. The house feels a bit empty now without her. What fun we had! Highlights included: ♥ the Flash getting to meet her for the first time ♥ seeing her get to know and enjoy our kids ♥ seeing her think that everything our children do is as interesting as I think it is ♥ experiencing with her, one of the best midsummer’s ever ♥ seeing her enjoy Sweden and all things Swedish (including herring) ♥ being impressed by how much Swedish she picked up ♥ picking up many valuable parenting tips ♥ watching the kids and her interact ♥ enjoying many fun moments of serendipity ♥ stealing her recipe for easy summer Cherry pie ♥ scooting around all over Stockholm ♥ her having to leave her special extra-large wonderful tea cup due to excess baggage issues and me then inheriting it. All in all, a fantastic experience for the lot of us!
- Gatsby, the film. With the super nanny around, TSH and I had the luxurious opportunity of many a ‘date night’. One Sunday afternoon we decided to go to the cinema and see Gatsby, Baz Luhrman’s adaption of the American classic novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, one of my favourite writers. It’s opened to some pretty mixed reviews with the Guardian claiming that Baz Luhrmann delivers an energetic, glittering adaptation of the classic Fitzgerald novel, but sacrifices all of the original’s subtlety in the process. Then something about headache-inducing camera zooms and the film being a flashy Gatsby, a sighing Gatsby, an angry Gatsby, a celeb Gatsby. But not a great one. OH PISS OFF. It was brilliant! I loved the over the top, vibrancy with its theatrical mega-tones. What were you expecting combing Baz Luhrmann and Jay Gatsby? It was totally amazing. The best* film we have seen in years and I would definitely go and se it on the big screen again.**
- The ABBA museum. Perhaps the real reason why we are still living in Stockholm, the ABBA museum recently opened to much fanfare with a disco beat. With the Super Nanny and Tina Sparkles in tow, the day could not have been better. It was so good that the ABBA museum absolutely needs it’s very own blog post. Stay tuned.
- Thai Boat in Hammerby. In the month of July there is a mass exodus of Swedes with everyone taking at least 4 weeks vacation. For some reason which for the love of God I just do not understand, the majority of Swedes like to travel overseas at this time. Just when Sweden is at its most lovely.!The days are long, the sun shines brightly*** the beautiful Nordic light is absolutely exquisite. It’s best we leave this country then. Top destinations include the Greek Islands and Thailand. As we cannot afford either, we decided to opt for eating dinner at the Thai Boat, which is exactly like eating at a beachside restaurant in Thailand, but in Sweden. It’s actually just down the road from us and with its kitschy plastic palms and fake sand beach bar, we were sold. We had a top night and feasted on Thai fish cakes, and passionfruit mojitos.
- Winter in Sydney. This year, winter in Sydney has been really cold and rainy. Everyone has been complaining to me about just how bad it has been. SUCKED IN! ABOUT TIME! I’ve suffered through it for 10 months so suck it up my Sydney sisters!
**this is never gonna happen, the super nanny has now left
PART TWO COMING SOON! How has your winter/summer been?